Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Pharmacist Principalities vs GOD's Principalities.

During the YA Camp, the first topic of the sermon was Living The Life Without Compromise. We live in a world full of their own principiliaties, and we were taught all that eversince we were in our primary school. Basically, from very young, my thoughts were moulded by scientific models and theories - evolution, Darwin theory, where most of the scientific / medical principals actually are against the principalities of God!


I was reading this book called Counseling Friends In Need by HArold J Sala, where he wrote counseling people should be based on Biblical principals not on the world's wisdom. So this put me into deep thought. For 4 years of my pharmacy course, many things I learned had go against the teachings of God. The world had came out with so many millions of scientific explanations to why the world exists, why this disease occurs, why this, why that?? When I was reading the book, Harold compared the models of the world with the Biblical models:

FREUDIAN MODEL
Root of the problem: Victim of conscience or environment
Cure: Psychoanalysis ( 6-8 years)

MEDICAL MODEL
Root of the problem: Victim of chemistry: Mental Illness (like a virus from without)
Cure: Psychotherapy drugs

MORAL MODEL
Root of the problem: Violator of morality (standards too high)
Cure: Psychotherapy (talking cures)

BIBLICAL MODEL
Root of the problem: Violator of will of God
Cure: Confession, Repentance, Restoration, Restitution

Like I said, since young, we were grounded by the teachings of the world. So this totally puts me in a dilemma. How to be a pharmacist but at the same time I do not violate God's principalities?How should I counsel patients based on the Biblical values instead of what I have learned from all the Physiology, Pharmacology textbooks??

I was flipping my Bible for an answer from God until I came upon the book of Colossions 2:8

"See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human traditions and the basic principals of this world rather than on Christ"

Later in verse 20-23: "Since you died with Christ to the basic principals of the world, why, as though you still belongs to it, do you submit to its rules. Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!? These are all destined to be perished with use, becasue they are based on human commands and teachings. Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, theri false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but htey lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence."

So Lord, I do want to live a life without compromise as a pharmacist. Help me to be a pharmacist which applies Your truth in my workplace. Really need Your Revelation...

No comments: