Sunday, October 19, 2008

Touching The Untouchable!!

I'm compelled to write this post..I was reading my Merck Manual on diseases where this disease" Leprosy" caught my attention. I got to know this disease thru the Bible, where Jesus had healed many leper ppl. However all this while, i dun really understand what leprosy is all about. I went on to the internet to just check out on this disease to learn of its' pathophysiology and symptoms etc. I was shocked to find out how terrible this disease affects the person!!!


Leprosy is actually an infection caused by Mycobacterium leprae which leads to disfiguration of the body, esp on the face, toes, fingers as well as blindness due to the damage of the peripheral nerves. The skin will developed rashes couple with a loss of sensation towards pain, heat etc... Not only that, to my horror, many leper patients are considered as an outcast due to this disease. I read an article written by sumone from Hosp Sungai Buloh, a leading hosp in d research of infectious diseases which has a Leprosy centre for the patients. He mentioned that this patients are stigmatized and abondoned by their family members/friends etc. So, many of them are left to stayed alone or remained in the centre. Many ppl wouldnt dare to touch them or go near them and this truly affects the sufferer psychologically, emotionally and mentally. Even there are some doctors who wouldnt dare to go near them, for the fear of contracting the disease!! However, it is assured that this disease is not easily trasmitted.

Leper patients with deformity of hands and loss of fingers..


In India, those who are infected with leprosy are labelled as *untouchables*. They are lonely, left devastated with this illness and most of all not loved and taken care by their close ones!! The more i think about this, the more i reflect on how Jesus had heal the lepers. Jesus had compassion on them. Jesus loves them. Its so amazing..I believe in the Bible, many would wanna stay as far as possible from this lepers, but Jesus went closer to the lepers and touched their skin and healed them...

I start to question myself how would i ever react if one day, a TB/ AIDS / leper / any contagious sick person comes to me for help and for love....Will i get scared and run away just like some others, or would i stay put and reach out to them and love them? The hospital is full of sick ppl, and these r the ones who are desperate for hope and love....Only through Gods love i am able to love them.

I pray that Lord, You will fill Your ppl's heart with compassion for those who are sick and not be fearful of contracting any disease. Give us the boldness to reach out to them and to love them with all our heart..Teach us not to stigmatized any sick person and teach us to be more like Jesus everyday..Father I pray that I would not be just a dispenser or counselor of medication, but as a dispenser and counselor of love n faith in Christ Jesus...In Jesus Name, AMEN!!

"For I was hungry and you gave me somehting to eat: I was thirsty, and you gave me somehting to drink: I was a stranger, and you invited me in: I needed clothes , and you clothed me: I was sick, and you looked after me: I was in prison, and you came to visit me. Then the righteous will answer him, saying, Lord, when did we see you hungry and fed you? or thirsty, and gave you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger, and invite you in? or needing clothes, and clothed you? When did we see you sick, or in prison, and visited you? And the King will reply " I tell you the truth, whatever you have done for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you have done it for me" Matthew 25:35-40.

Touching the untouchables. Can u do it?

1 comment:

Simply Great Food said...

Praise GOD. In Christ we have every spiritual blessings ( Ephesians 1:3 ). All He wants is our willingness to receive the comfort n strength from His love every day. Amen.